#header {width:60%;display:inline-block;float:left;} #header2 {width:25%;display:inline-block;float:right;padding:15px;} #header-right .widget {margin:0;}

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Hope is There is So Much to Feel Good About

This has got to be the good life. 

I haven't written in a long time because, honestly, I have been too busy enjoying myself. 

I began working with the Volunteer Lawyers Project downtown and I love it. I am working with a small spit-fire attorney who provides legal services to individuals with AIDS/HIV and who qualify financially for free legal aid. I have been doing a lot of research and have had the opportunity to meet with some clients. My supervisor and I had a long discussion about how, while I am not a minority (other than being female, which is hardly considered a minority anymore--and I am glad), I can relate to clients because I know how it feels to have extensive medical problems. My supervisor, who is a minority (hailing from Puerto Rico), also has this ability to relate to clients because she has lupus (which is also an auto-immune disease.) I feel blessed to work with her. She was telling me about how she had to take two years off because she had a really bad flare-up. It's hard to imagine watching that lady argue with the judge about how it's important to enter a letter into evidence...and scream about how ridiculous the opposing counsel is (in the privacy of her office, of course.) She, along with the clients that I am helping, prove that you can do anything, despite what hand God gives you, if you stay determined and don't give up. 

I also obtained a position as a research assistant to a professor on campus who is working on editing a documentary on the Attica Prison Riot. We are also organizing a conference on the Uprising which is now scheduled to be held in Buffalo on September 12th and 13th. I am super excited about this project because it combines two of my greatest interests: Prison and Feminism. We are planning on doing a whole panel at the conference on the effects of the riot on women in prisons and the gendered ideas of correctional institutions. (I am also getting paid to do this, which helps with the grocery bill :) ) 

Between my two positions, I am keeping busy with social activities. I forgot how much fun life can be. Seriously. My friend Kristin, who is going to be the best teacher I know as soon as she finishes one more semester of graduate school, wrote a paper after interviewing me on how having a chronic illness affects one's life: academically and socially. As I answered her extensive interview questions, I realized how much my disease has held me back socially. Now I feel like I am trying to do everything just to make up for lost time. 

I went home last weekend to watch one of my best friend's sisters get married (and enjoy the open bar)...which is something I probably wouldn't have been able to do if I were sick. I then went to Elmira with Miss Kristin to visit our Alma Mater. It was great to be back and to be able to actually spend the night at someone else's house without worrying about getting sick. 

                            Me, Kristin, Jess, and Billy @ Jenny's Wedding
 
This weekend I am going home to see my sister before she treks to Kentucky for the summer, where she will be doing breast cancer research. That girl is going to change the world.


In other travel news: I will be flying to Boston in two weeks to visit a bunch of my college friends who live out there. I am so excited. I haven't been able to travel anywhere for an extended period in a long time. I will also be driving to Kentucky for the Fourth of July to visit Miss KatieGrace. 

I have been spending a lot of time with my friends in Buffalo. One of the things I also realized when answering Kristin's questions: chronic diseases also tend to keep people from engaging in romantic relationships. I told Kristin that I had only ever had one boyfriend and I broke up with him after 3 weeks because he annoyed me. Other than that, I just haven't been interested in boys. I lot of this disinterest probably comes from having to explain my body to someone else, especially a boy. People are scared enough of rejection: people with chronic illnesses have so much more baggage that needs to be accepted. A landmark occurred for me a few weeks ago when I actually shared my bed with a boy. Usually if a guy friend needed to spend the night, I would make him sleep on the miniature sofa in my living room for fear that he wouldn't understand why I got up so often in the night. Since my surgery, I sleep though the night with no problems and, thus, I am not so ashamed or worried anymore. 

One of the big social events that has happened recently: Take Walks 2011! This past weekend, my gram, mom, Jessica, and Mrs. Phillips (really, my second mother) came out to Buffalo and walked with me to raise funds for Crohn's and Colitis. It was a beautiful day, although a little chilly by the waterfront. There were so many people there! It was a great event. I want to specifically thank everyone who donated: Amanda Strathearn, Aunt Linda, Dave Nelson, Diane and Randy Scott, Gram and Grandpa, Jen, Bill, and Abby Wilkinson, Jerome Loudin, Jess Phillips, Mom, Sarah and Shane, The George Family, Uncle Scott and Aunt Paula, and Mrs. Phillips. Overall Sticks and Stones raised $705. The Buffalo Take Steps Event, to date, $52,941.05! 

                   Gram, Mrs. Phillips, Me, Jess, and Mom @ the Take Steps Walk

I can't wait until next years event! 

So, that's why I haven't written in so long. I have just been too busy being happy and enjoying life. 

While I still have to make the occasional trip to see my surgeon (I went last week because the skin around my stomas is getting red and irritated...I have another appointment Friday with an ostomy nurse and I will probably have surgery again in July to put Stoma Jr. back into my abdominal cavity), this has got to be the good life. :) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment